10 Fish Facts (Knowing is believing)
1. The amazing Spotted Climbing Perch is able to ‘gulp’ oxygen from the air and can crawl over land using its strong pectoral fins in search of water.
2. Did you know, American Lobsters have longer life spans than both cats and dogs, living over 20 years.
3. Catfish have over 27,000 taste buds, whereas humans have only 9,000.
4. What is the loudest fish? The answer is, the crocker.
5. What percentage of a fish’s size is made up of brain? Fish typically have quite small brains relative to body size compared with other vertebrates, typically one-fifteenth (0.06 per cent) the brain mass of a similarly sized bird or mammal.
6. Did you know, fish can get sunburn, but it is unusual unless there is something about their environment that does not allow them to seek deeper water or some kind of shelter.
7. Which kind of fish can live in the coldest temperatures? The answer is the Antarctic ice fish, which have antifreeze in their blood, live permanently at -1°C.
8. Is it true that a fish surrounds itself by its snot to protect itself? Yes – parrot fish produce a mucus “tent” that completely covers them.
9. Did you know that fish have a specialized sense organ called their lateral line, which works much like radar and helps them navigate in dark or murky water?
10. It was not until 1853 in London, UK, when aeration and filtration of water was understood, that people were able to keep fish as indoor pets.